Share“Here we have our present age... Man today, stripped of myth, stands famished among all his pasts and must dig frantically for roots, be it among the most remote antiquities." Friedrich Nietzsche
The Birth of Tragedy from the Spirit of Music
What is Stories for Life about?
Stories for Life Workshops explore the powerful role that story, myth and metaphor plays in shaping and changing our lives.
Think about repetitive patterns...unhealthy habits...negative relationships...low confidence and self-esteem...unexplained physical symptoms...on-going issues with anxiety, anger and depression...
Why do the same types of problems keep surfacing in your life? And perhaps more importantly, why do you keep responding the same way as if on auto-pilot?
Well, we believe that the deeper meaning in stories lay down a blueprint in the brain that will unconsciously influence our whole lives - until we become aware of it and then do something about it. The metaphorical pattern in the story, whether it be a fairytale, book or film acts as a template that our brains try to complete in the real world. This is why people get 'stuck' and why, by changing the story template, real life changes can be made.
So, when you participate in our workshops we will help you...
1) Identify the stories you have lived your life by
2) See if those stories still work for you and to help you find ways to affirm those stories or re-frame them
3) Or alternatively, we will help you find ways to write a new story for life that will enable you to make positive changes now or in the future.
We believe that story-telling also needs witnessing, so the workshops are as much about listening to the stories of other people, and understanding how they inter-connect with our own, as tending/attending to our individual tales.
What you get from Stories for Life workshops
- If you love the enchanting nature of stories our workshops are for you. You'll have the chance to tell your own favourite stories and hear others tell theirs.
- You will be helped to identify the stories (and the deeper meanings contained within them) that might have shaped your life and whether these stories are still appropriate or need updating.
- You will learn how metaphors and patterns within a story act as a template that the brain tries to complete in the real world. We'll explain exactly how this happens.
- If you have repeating themes and patterns in your life our workshop will help you identify the stories that may be contributing to or even causing problematic situations and issues.
- If you are going through changes in your life our workshops will help you come to a better understanding of what those changes might mean and how you can deal with those changes in a healthy way by writing a new 'story for life', in effect, setting up a new 'pattern' to follow.
- If you are a counsellor, therapist, teacher or anyone working in the helping professions and interested in finding (new) ways to use stories and metaphor to help your clients, our workshops will equip you with new, creative skills.
Thus, if you have a professional interest in stories and the use of metaphor or if you want to investigate what stories mean to you on a more personal level, perhaps just as a form of ‘serious play’, then find out about our next workshops here or contact us with any questions you might have. You can also connect with us on our facebook page to share your stories. We'd love to hear from you.
© Copyright Powis and Roberts 2011